Mergers and Acquisitions
Jenesis provides advice on various strategic transactions including acquisitions, disposals, mergers, joint ventures and strategic alliances.
Jenesis has conducted several due diligence engagements for multi-billion dollar cross-border M&A transactions. For instance
- We were part of a technical due diligence team to evaluate the fixed and mobile networks of Turk Telecom for a bidder
- Jenesis developed a 10 year model to determine capital expenditure requirement and operating costs of the fixed and mobile networks and recommended strategies to optimise network investment
- The bidder emerged as the winning party in the auction of a controlling stake in Turk Telecom, privatised by the Turkish Government
- Jenesis was part of a technical due diligence team to evaluate the fixed and mobile networks of Pakistan Telecom for a bidder
- We were part of a team that undertook the due diligence of a Taiwanese Cable TV company, leading to a successful acquisition
We have developed detailed valuation models and financial analysis for a variety of investment opportunities for clients. For instance
- Developed a detailed financial model for a fixed and mobile operator analysing several scenarios for the rollout of a nationwide NGN broadband network (DSL, FTTx, wireless) in Saudi Arabia
- Advised a fixed and mobile operator in Thailand to assist with its decision-making process on whether to invest in an NGN solution
- Developed a detailed revenue model for a newly licensed operator in Qatar for fixed broadband and convergence services for corporate and residential segments
- Developed valuations for a number of African mobile operators for an India-based telecom operator seeking acquisition opportunities
Jenesis assists clients in their decision-making process of whether to bid, preparing the licence bid documentation and ensuring compliance with bid regulations. We also support clients before, during and after spectrum auctions, advising on bid strategies, valuations, bid ceilings and internal governance aspects. Our consultants have advised on numerous licence bids including
- Valuation of 3G licences and advice on 3G spectrum auctions / bids for all of BT‘s Asian mobile joint ventures
- Fixed line (FTTH) licence in Saudi Arabia and several other FTTx projects
- International Gateway licence bid in Indonesia
- Fixed line licence bids for several circles (regions) in India
Jenesis has advised several clients in establishing successful joint ventures (JVs) and business alliances. Out consultants have specialised skills in supporting clients through the life cycle of a joint venture or alliance. Examples where our consultants have played a leading role in negotiating JVs include
- Establishment, ongoing management and exit of BT’s Asian mobile JVs
- Provision of advice to Korea Telecom on partnership options, deals structures and negotiation strategies for a smart city investment opportunity with Cisco (CENTIOS)
Jenesis provides advice to governments, regulatory bodies and corporations on the development of policies, plans and investments in smart cities and smart buildings.
Our research and analysis of the global smart city market enables us to provide our clients with the latest trends, in governance, funding, business models, technology, smart city services, government policies and regulatory landscape.
We have developed a smart city assessment framework, which is a tool that can be used to evaluate the key characteristics that are common to smart city projects. This tool was used to collect relevant data for “Comparative Study of Smart Cities in Europe and China”; a report that examines smart city trends and developments from a global, China and EU perspective.
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
Jenesis provides advice on FDI and trade promotion to Investment Promotion Agencies (IPAs) and various other organisations in Asia Pacific, Africa, Europe and the America’s.
Our expertise and capabilities include international lead generation, FDI strategy development, marketing and media support. We provide tailored training programmes for organisations seeking FDI and have been engaged by the International Telecoms Union (ITU) to provide an Investment Master Class to guide delegates through a step-by-step process to attract ICT investment.
We advise clients on their portfolio mix, product positioning and pricing to optimise contribution towards profits whilst ensuring the product pipeline adequately addresses growth opportunities. We use a variety of tools such as BCG matrix and quadrant analysis to assist with portfolio analysis.
We have also conducted consumer focus groups to test brand perceptions and product pricing to ensure clients’ investment cases are adequately robust. Where required, we utilise our locally based consultants to provide insight and market intelligence helping us to refine market share analysis. We have assisted clients with product lifecycle management and provided practical support for product launches and product withdrawals.
Our regulatory consultants are recognised as experts having been at the forefront on issues such as local loop unbundling and Next Generation Networks (NGN) when these were mere concepts for most operators and regulators. Some of Jenesis’ regulatory experts have held Board level positions at globally renowned regulatory authorities.
We have advised companies and regulators on a range of matters, including: design of regulatory policy and frameworks; development of responses and regulatory submissions; regulatory accounting methodologies and organisational design; Analysis and support during licence bids; interconnect analysis and pricing; cost modelling and network sharing strategies; spectrum valuations.